Latest Posts:
flame4-28-2024 Three Word Post.....The Next Generation.... (Rep.#18,907) from: BigDogflameflame4-28-2024 The Totally Useless Thread IV (Rep.#22) from: BigDogflameflame4-28-2024 Brrrr (Rep.#14,837) from: BigDogflameflame4-28-2024 Gas price in your area (Rep.#7,182) from: BigDogflameflame4-01-2024 The Totally Useless Thread III (Rep.#11,248) from: Havasu Dougflame
No members are browsing this topic
Forum Led by: BigDog, RiverLiver

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]
add a reply to this topic create a new topic create a new poll
Scuba SteveMale Offline
Pisces
HDF Supporter
National Streaking Champs
1,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
Mesa, AZ
APPD 0.55
Post Rank: 17
Post Icon Posted: July 17 2006,9:34 am Post # 26 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (GlassMan @ July 17 2006,10:30 am)
Quote (Scuba Steve @ July 17 2006,9:04 am)
Hey Glassman, can you still use your binimi with the roll bar?

I know the flynvees have a wakeboard boat. They seem to like it a lot.

Oh yeah, bimini is up all the time. I did modify it a bit so I could hang speakers.

I also have an extension for the bimini that goes all the way out to cover the rear patio....you know, where the cocktail table goes. There's a control back there for the stereo and I installed a washdown hose to squirt the kids when they annoy me....which is often. :D

Cool, I figured you could after looking at the Shuemans pic.

Edited by Scuba Steve on July 17 2006,9:35 am

Everyone is welcome.... No one is safe.
| Member # 149 | Joined: 6-17-2003 |
eliminatedsprinterMale Offline

Hot Boater
100 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
Lancaster, Ca
APPD 0.06
Post Rank: 71
Eliminator Sprint
Post Icon Posted: July 17 2006,10:01 am Post # 27 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

I'd look at and ride in a Stingray. They have lots of bang for the buck. I have 2 good friends with them. That "Z plane hull" is efficient and rides well. With a 350 mag their 220 and 230 models run real strong.

Sir Steve, Lord of the computer idiots
| Member # 2104 | Joined: 4-07-2006 |
freddogMale Offline

Jack-Booted Thug
1,000 post flame100 post flame
Gilbert, AZ
APPD 0.17
Post Rank: 39
Triton Enforcer
Post Icon Posted: July 17 2006,1:12 pm Post # 28 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Here's my take on the tournament ski/wakeboard boats.  I have a Nautique, old school style ski boat with no tower, closed bow.  I always wanted one after owning a 27' Sleek and a 23' Sea Ray, and I rarely have more than four people on my boat anymore.  After months of research I found that the Nautiques were hands down best, close second is the Mastercraft.  Malibu has come a long way and Mobius is one of the up-and-comers.  Mine, like I said before, is old school (not old) styling, pure ski boat, inboard power 351ci, 330hp.  It tops out at 48, but gets there quick.  Everyone warned me that the ride would be brutal, but its not.  However, its definately not a rough water boat.  Handling at speed is incredible.  At 40 it turns on rails, or if I want to scare the crap out of someone, I can put it in a flat 180.  At low speed, I could dock the Queen Mary easier. they're worse than a jet in reverse.  Maintenance is easier than any power boat I've seen.  I can change an impeller in 10 minutes, the oil and tranny fluid drain through hoses designed to run out through the drain in the hull, and everything is easily accessible.  I have friends that have their oil changed at Walmart, its that easy.  I see and drive alot of boats in my job and I would be willing to say that Correct Craft (Nautiques) are among the top 5 best built boats.  They've been building boat for over 90 years and there's plenty of Nautiques and Mastercrafts on the water that are 40 years old and look like new.  The new V-drives open up alot more room, but don't perform quite as well.

That being said and bragging aside, there's two reasons to buy a tournament style boat or roll bar boat as you call them:

You like the look, engineering, craftsmanship and handling and don't really care about top end, or...

You love to ski or wakeboard

For a more all-around family, cruising, sitting on the beach type boat that handles the rougher water better, get anything else.  The Yamaha is impressive and well built, and reasonable in price.  The only downside I've heard about them from our mechanics and others is that there are not as many mechanics trained to work on them and few marinas willing to...yet.  You're somewhat restricted to the dealerships selling them, and I don't trust the ones in this area, I won't even let them work on my bike.

I love my ski boat, it's perfect for me and I'll keep it for a long time (although I'm working on a screaming deal on a Magic), but they're not for everyone.  Make sure whatever you decide on you take it out for a full day first.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning kills boaters.  Take the time to learn about it and how to avoid it.
| Member # 1613 | Joined: 7-26-2005 |
Carrera EliteMale Offline
Libra
HDF Supporter

10,000 post flame10,000 post flame10,000 post flame10,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame100 post flame
Glendale,AZ
APPD 5.65
Post Rank: 2
1990 Carrera 23.5 Classic
Post Icon Posted: July 17 2006,2:48 pm Post # 29 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (freddog @ July 17 2006,1:12 pm)
 Make sure whatever you decide on you take it out for a full day first.

That's some good advice !!  :good  :good

Sarcasim, Just one more thing that I offer for free!!
I've Reached The Age Where Happy Hour Is A Nap!!

WWW.StormPokerRuns.Com

| Member # 8 | Joined: 12-04-2002 |
MrCordMale Offline
Libra
HDF Silver Supporter
In need of a River Trip!
1,000 post flame1,000 post flame100 post flame
Irvine Ca
APPD 0.31
Post Rank: 30
28' Magic H-Deck
Post Icon Posted: July 17 2006,2:51 pm Post # 30 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (freddog @ July 17 2006,1:12 pm)
Here's my take on the tournament ski/wakeboard boats.  I have a Nautique, old school style ski boat with no tower, closed bow.  I always wanted one after owning a 27' Sleek and a 23' Sea Ray, and I rarely have more than four people on my boat anymore.  After months of research I found that the Nautiques were hands down best, close second is the Mastercraft.  Malibu has come a long way and Mobius is one of the up-and-comers.  Mine, like I said before, is old school (not old) styling, pure ski boat, inboard power 351ci, 330hp.  It tops out at 48, but gets there quick.  Everyone warned me that the ride would be brutal, but its not.  However, its definately not a rough water boat.  Handling at speed is incredible.  At 40 it turns on rails, or if I want to scare the crap out of someone, I can put it in a flat 180.  At low speed, I could dock the Queen Mary easier. they're worse than a jet in reverse.  Maintenance is easier than any power boat I've seen.  I can change an impeller in 10 minutes, the oil and tranny fluid drain through hoses designed to run out through the drain in the hull, and everything is easily accessible.  I have friends that have their oil changed at Walmart, its that easy.  I see and drive alot of boats in my job and I would be willing to say that Correct Craft (Nautiques) are among the top 5 best built boats.  They've been building boat for over 90 years and there's plenty of Nautiques and Mastercrafts on the water that are 40 years old and look like new.  The new V-drives open up alot more room, but don't perform quite as well.

That being said and bragging aside, there's two reasons to buy a tournament style boat or roll bar boat as you call them:

You like the look, engineering, craftsmanship and handling and don't really care about top end, or...

You love to ski or wakeboard

For a more all-around family, cruising, sitting on the beach type boat that handles the rougher water better, get anything else.  The Yamaha is impressive and well built, and reasonable in price.  The only downside I've heard about them from our mechanics and others is that there are not as many mechanics trained to work on them and few marinas willing to...yet.  You're somewhat restricted to the dealerships selling them, and I don't trust the ones in this area, I won't even let them work on my bike.

I love my ski boat, it's perfect for me and I'll keep it for a long time (although I'm working on a screaming deal on a Magic), but they're not for everyone.  Make sure whatever you decide on you take it out for a full day first.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Wow... Well written and thanks for the info :)

The natiques are a little out of my pricing range right now, but I do agree that they are very nice boats!

It will be a big shift for me from stomping on the gas pedal, to even using a hand throttle...  But Im going to start testing them out and see...  The only problem with Mobius so far is that they only have inland marine as their dealer...  Maybe I will check out an az dealer and get one there if I like it...

Never Trust Anyone That Talks Too Fast.... They are hoping you miss something!
| Member # 1117 | Joined: 3-01-2005 |
TuchopMale Offline
Gemini
HDF Supporter
Simple Chimp
1,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
APPD 0.19
Post Rank: 37
Boatless
Post Icon Posted: July 17 2006,4:40 pm Post # 31 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Cord and Yami owners,
I was looking at some stuff and found this

http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/index.php

It seems to have some good info on it  :good
| Member # 1336 | Joined: 4-20-2005 |
shuemanMale Offline
Libra
HDF Gold Supporter
Born To Drive...
10,000 post flame5,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
Alta Loma CA
APPD 2.33
Post Rank: 4
NADA
Post Icon Posted: July 17 2006,4:55 pm Post # 32 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (Tuchop @ July 17 2006,4:40 pm)
Cord and Yami owners,
I was looking at some stuff and found this

http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/index.php

It seems to have some good info on it  :good

That's our "other" hangout.... :D
| Member # 376 | Joined: 2-01-2004 |
shuemanMale Offline
Libra
HDF Gold Supporter
Born To Drive...
10,000 post flame5,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
Alta Loma CA
APPD 2.33
NADA
Post Icon Posted: July 17 2006,5:10 pm Post # 33 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

I would suggest "try before you buy".....GO RENTAL....!!!  :good

Bob at Fun-Time in Havasu has everything from runabouts & "antler" boats to Ebbtide deckboats and big I/O Tri-Toons....mama's personal favorite.
:cool

20 Year Member!
GlassManMale Offline
Pisces
HDF Silver Supporter
Redondo Crew
5,000 post flame500 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
Redondo Beach, California, USA
APPD 0.79
Post Rank: 13
Post Icon Posted: July 17 2006,5:42 pm Post # 34 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Fred, Man that was spot on! :good

I really, really, really wanted to make a tournament boat work for us. CorrectCraft (Both Air & Ski Nautique), Malibu, what we have all around us when we are out with our friends.

They are die hard skiers and boarders....us?, not so die hard. But I love the solid feel and appreciate the quality.

I went for something much more family friendly. It's a good thing I feel 100% capable of handling any of the mechanics on the MR-1 engine. It surprises me that the dealer qualifications aren't there yet...there are a few that can do the job

I can wait til the kids are out of the house (again) for my real dream boat. ;)

It's a fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday, even the Calendar says : WTF .......
| Member # 617 | Joined: 4-29-2004 |
TuchopMale Offline
Gemini
HDF Supporter
Simple Chimp
APPD 0.19
Boatless
Post Icon Posted: July 17 2006,5:56 pm Post # 35 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (GlassMan @ July 17 2006,5:42 pm)
Fred, Man that was spot on! :good

I really, really, really wanted to make a tournament boat work for us. CorrectCraft (Both Air & Ski Nautique), Malibu, what we have all around us when we are out with our friends.

They are die hard skiers and boarders....us?, not so die hard. But I love the solid feel and appreciate the quality.

I went for something much more family friendly. It's a good thing I feel 100% capable of handling any of the mechanics on the MR-1 engine. It surprises me that the dealer qualifications aren't there yet...there are a few that can do the job

I can wait til the kids are out of the house (again) for my real dream boat. ;)

What is the wake behind your Yami like?

20 Year Member!
GlassManMale Offline
Pisces
HDF Silver Supporter
Redondo Crew
APPD 0.79
Post Icon Posted: July 17 2006,6:11 pm Post # 36 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

If you ski you'll need about 100' of rope to get you back beyond any spray from the jets.....besides that it flattens out nicely back there.

If you are a boarder, not so good...OK, but not what hard core boarders like to launch off of. If you shorten up the rope to get you into the fat part (and can handle the jetwash) you'll have fun.

But it is great for beginners. The jets just don't have the same torque as a prop and don't give that arm ripping pull that get to most first timers...more of a gentle roll-on. :)

It's a fact of Life:

TuchopMale Offline
Gemini
HDF Supporter
Simple Chimp
APPD 0.19
Boatless
Post Icon Posted: July 19 2006,7:26 am Post # 37 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (GlassMan @ July 17 2006,6:11 pm)
If you ski you'll need about 100' of rope to get you back beyond any spray from the jets.....besides that it flattens out nicely back there.

If you are a boarder, not so good...OK, but not what hard core boarders like to launch off of. If you shorten up the rope to get you into the fat part (and can handle the jetwash) you'll have fun.

But it is great for beginners. The jets just don't have the same torque as a prop and don't give that arm ripping pull that get to most first timers...more of a gentle roll-on. :)

I needed a 100' foot rope a couple weeks ago behind my buddies I/O. I was surprised how much wake that thing kicked out. The deadrise was prob less than 20 degrees. It had been a while since I had skied behind a V bottom. I'd like to ski behind a direct drive and see what that's like.

20 Year Member!
GlassManMale Offline
Pisces
HDF Silver Supporter
Redondo Crew
APPD 0.79
Post Icon Posted: July 19 2006,7:52 am Post # 38 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

I tell you what, I'll let you know next time we are out there. You can have your choice between 2 Malibu direct drives and a Malibu with one of the Mastercraft X-tabs installed.

Then I'll pull you behind the Yami and you'll know first hand. :good

And there is a bunch of skis to choose from.....high costium carbon whozits right up to some fine vintage Maha's! :D

It's a fact of Life:

MrCordMale Offline
Libra
HDF Silver Supporter
In need of a River Trip!
Irvine Ca
APPD 0.31
28' Magic H-Deck
Post Icon Posted: July 19 2006,7:52 am Post # 39 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Im headed down to make a boat shopping tour this weekend...   But Im going to run the whole gambit...  

Yami
Moomba
Carrerra
Commander
and who ever else I can find...  

Maybe I can get a deal on the last of the 06'  most of them said that the 07 are going to be in soon...

But I still need to get an engine for the old jet... so I can sell it...  Anyone got a 454 lying around???  Doesnt have to be a muscle motor just something that will drive my old boat around for a while...

Edited by MrCord on July 19 2006,7:54 am

20 Year Member!
GlassManMale Offline
Pisces
HDF Silver Supporter
Redondo Crew
APPD 0.79
Post Icon Posted: July 19 2006,8:01 am Post # 40 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (MrCord @ July 19 2006,7:52 am)
Im headed down to make a boat shopping tour this weekend...   But Im going to run the whole gambit...  

Yami
Moomba
Carrerra
Commander
and who ever else I can find...  

Maybe I can get a deal on the last of the 06'  most of them said that the 07 are going to be in soon...

But I still need to get an engine for the old jet... so I can sell it...  Anyone got a 454 lying around???  Doesnt have to be a muscle motor just something that will drive my old boat around for a while...

I'm told all the '06 Yami's are history and they may or may not be taking deposits on the '07's. If you go to Walt's in Havasu ask for a guy named William Ludwig, tell him I sent you (then duck) :D

It's a fact of Life:

MrCordMale Offline
Libra
HDF Silver Supporter
In need of a River Trip!
Irvine Ca
APPD 0.31
28' Magic H-Deck
Post Icon Posted: July 19 2006,8:37 am Post # 41 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Uhh OOooo :rolleyes

What'd you do to him???  Grind him down on the price?

20 Year Member!
GlassManMale Offline
Pisces
HDF Silver Supporter
Redondo Crew
APPD 0.79
Post Icon Posted: July 19 2006,8:54 am Post # 42 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (MrCord @ July 19 2006,8:37 am)

No, not at all. I got mine from The dealer up in Bullhead - Monclair Motorsports. Check them out too. Mine was the first boat they sold. Nice folks, basically a motorcycle shop.

William posts on the Yamaha site alot and he's been pounded by a couple of guys just because he's a "Salesman" :D

But I think he is a good guy, he may have access to more boats. ;)

It's a fact of Life:

shuemanMale Offline
Libra
HDF Gold Supporter
Born To Drive...
Alta Loma CA
APPD 2.33
NADA
Post Icon Posted: July 19 2006,9:26 am Post # 43 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (GlassMan @ July 19 2006,8:54 am)
Quote (MrCord @ July 19 2006,8:37 am)

No, not at all. I got mine from The dealer up in Bullhead - Monclair Motorsports. Check them out too. Mine was the first boat they sold. Nice folks, basically a motorcycle shop.

William posts on the Yamaha site alot and he's been pounded by a couple of guys just because he's a "Salesman" :D

But I think he is a good guy, he may have access to more boats. ;)

William is good peeps....met him on our June trip... :good
Bullhead had more inventory in the lot when I drove by....you might cruise by Bert's in West Covina or Chapparal in OC as well..... :cool
Sleek-JetMale Offline
Aquarius
HDF Supporter
The Cooler
5,000 post flame1,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
Batavia, IL
APPD 0.82
Post Rank: 11
Big 'Ole Inner-tube
Post Icon Posted: July 19 2006,9:48 am Post # 44 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

As far as the foot/hand throttle...

When I redo my boat here in the next couple years, the foot throttle is comming out.  You'll like it, it makes driving the boat any distance so much less tiring, just set the throttle at whatever speed you want and enjoy the ride.  :good

A dog doesn't care if you're rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his.
| Member # 81 | Joined: 2-07-2003 |
eliminatedsprinterMale Offline

Hot Boater
100 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
Lancaster, Ca
APPD 0.06
Post Rank: 71
Eliminator Sprint
Post Icon Posted: July 19 2006,10:29 am Post # 45 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Foot vs hand throttle is also a safety decision. If the boat is small (under 22 ft) and goes over 55 or 60 mph a foot throttle is often recommended, because you can decelerate faster, while keeping both hands on the wheel. This isn't really a factor in the boats you are looking at since the only one I've seen anyone suggest you look at, that will go over 60, is the Stingray I suggested and those seem perfectly safe with hand throttles.  :cool

Sir Steve, Lord of the computer idiots
| Member # 2104 | Joined: 4-07-2006 |
Carrera EliteMale Offline
Libra
HDF Supporter

10,000 post flame10,000 post flame10,000 post flame10,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame100 post flame
Glendale,AZ
APPD 5.65
Post Rank: 2
1990 Carrera 23.5 Classic
Post Icon Posted: July 19 2006,1:05 pm Post # 46 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

I would look at used , a year or two old with warranty left on it, that way somebody has alread taken the depreciation on it.... What happened to the engine in the other boat?? :stupid

Sarcasim, Just one more thing that I offer for free!!
I've Reached The Age Where Happy Hour Is A Nap!!

WWW.StormPokerRuns.Com

| Member # 8 | Joined: 12-04-2002 |
shuemanMale Offline
Libra
HDF Gold Supporter
Born To Drive...
Alta Loma CA
APPD 2.33
NADA
Post Icon Posted: July 19 2006,4:33 pm Post # 47 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (Carrera Elite @ July 19 2006,1:05 pm)
I would look at used , a year or two old with warranty left on it, that way somebody has alread taken the depreciation on it....

Good answer....there are some deals out there.... :good  :beer
TuchopMale Offline
Gemini
HDF Supporter
Simple Chimp
APPD 0.19
Boatless
Post Icon Posted: July 19 2006,4:59 pm Post # 48 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (GlassMan @ July 19 2006,7:52 am)
I tell you what, I'll let you know next time we are out there. You can have your choice between 2 Malibu direct drives and a Malibu with one of the Mastercraft X-tabs installed.

Then I'll pull you behind the Yami and you'll know first hand. :good

And there is a bunch of skis to choose from.....high costium carbon whozits right up to some fine vintage Maha's! :D

That would be great  :good Sounds like a bunch of equip that is far better than I am, but cool!
MrCordMale Offline
Libra
HDF Silver Supporter
In need of a River Trip!
Irvine Ca
APPD 0.31
28' Magic H-Deck
Post Icon Posted: July 22 2006,5:29 pm Post # 49 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

:jumpie Im a new boat owner  :jumpie

Spent all day in Corona (110 degrees today out there)

Looked at wakeboard boats, custom boats, and some others...  And finally settled on a 24' ebbtide deck boat...  Never though about buying one before but they are actually pretty sweet! Sink, enclosed head, 5 coolers, front converts into a big bed, full length biminis, fishin pole holders, showers on the front and back...  And more :)  

But what really sold me was 6 year engine and driveline warranty, with 5 year on the rest of the boat!!!  Even though its a volvo I dont care!!!  Heres to a whole season without seeing my engine   :beer

I pick it up thursday and off to the river for the maiden voyage I go!!!!

Edited by MrCord on July 22 2006,5:32 pm

Attached Image
Attached Image

MrCordMale Offline
Libra
HDF Silver Supporter
In need of a River Trip!
Irvine Ca
APPD 0.31
28' Magic H-Deck
Post Icon Posted: July 22 2006,5:48 pm Post # 50 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

:D

Attached Image
Attached Image

83 replies since July 17 2006,7:21 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]
add a reply to this topic create a new topic create a new poll

navbarlogo
The Colorado River WebRing
‹ Prev | Hub | Like | Join | Surprise | Next ›

Please help keep HDF free. If you enjoy this site, feel free to make a donation to keep it running. THANKS!