Latest Posts:
flame4-13-2024 Three Word Post.....The Next Generation.... (Rep.#18,878) from: GoFastRacerflameflame4-13-2024 Gas price in your area (Rep.#7,179) from: GoFastRacerflameflame4-13-2024 Brrrr (Rep.#14,829) from: GoFastRacerflameflame4-13-2024 The Totally Useless Thread IV (Rep.#13) from: GoFastRacerflameflame4-01-2024 The Totally Useless Thread III (Rep.#11,248) from: Havasu Dougflame
No members are browsing this topic
Forum Led by: BigDog, RiverLiver

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]
add a reply to this topic create a new topic create a new poll
Dyce51Male Offline
Taurus

Boat Racer
1,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
Brunswick, Ohio
APPD 0.21
Post Rank: 38
no boat right now
Post Icon Posted: Feb. 27 2009,9:44 pm Post # 1 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

On the news this evening they were talking about Ford. How Ford is about to give Cleveland area a good shot.  They are REOPENING  Ford Engine Plant 2. after it was shut down a few years back. Here's the story..

Ford expected to reopen Cleveland engine plant
By TERRY KINNEY – 17 hours ago

A Ford Motor Co. plant in suburban Cleveland which has been idle for nearly two years is about to begin making a new fuel-efficient engine for some of the company's 2010 model cars.

Ford has called an 11 a.m. EST Friday news conference to announce that its Cleveland Engine Plant No. 1 in suburban Brook Park, which has undergone a $55 million retooling since its last shutdown, will be the first manufacturing site to build its EcoBoost engines.

EcoBoost engines combine direct injection technology and turbo-charging for improved fuel efficiency and lower CO2 emissions. Ford says they can achieve up 20 percent better fuel and 15 percent lower CO2 emissions, compared with larger displacement engines, without sacrificing power.

The 3.5-liter, V-6 engines will be standard on the Ford Taurus SHO and optional on the Lincoln MKS and MKT, and Ford Flex cars.

"The launch of EcoBoost is the big milestone in Ford's commitment to deliver affordable fuel-efficient cars and trucks to millions of customers," said Barb Samardzich, vice president, Global Powertrain Engineering. "The EcoBoost V6 is going to achieve the fuel economy that our customers demand, while delivering even more of the performance that they want."

Cleveland Engine Plant No. 1 was Ford's first engine plant in Ohio when it opened in 1951, and has turned out more than 35 million engines in its 58-year history.

It was idled in December 2000 and reopened in May 2004 with about 800 workers after a $350 million renovation.

It was rated as capable of making up to 1,200 aluminum Duratec 30 V-6 engines per day for the 2005 Ford Five Hundred and Mercury Montego sedans and seven-passenger Ford Freestyle. But demand for the engines did not materialize as Ford expected.

The plant had more than 500 employees when it was shut down in May 2007. It was retooled to make 3.5-liter engines, but production wasn't immediately needed, and the opening date was pushed back at least twice.

Ford said it initially will use about 250 workers from its three other plants at the Cleveland-area site.

Telephone messages seeking comment were left Thursday evening for Michael Gammella, president of the United Auto Workers Local 1250 union at Brook Park, who is also the City Council president.

Telephone and e-mail messages also were left Thursday evening for Brook Park Mayor Mark Elliott.

I think this is Fantastic!!!!!  Alot of people questioned how Ford planned to keep going without any bailout money and Ford is showing it can and Creating new jobs as well!!!

if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all
| Member # 2816 | Joined: 3-12-2007 |
WATERDOGMale Offline
Gemini
HDF Silver Supporter
Don't Bother Me, I'm in Havi
10,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
MENIFEE, CA
APPD 1.66
Post Rank: 8
ELIMINATOR EAGLE
Post Icon Posted: Feb. 28 2009,12:53 am Post # 2 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

News out here said about 200 jobs. It also said that all my be transfered from other Ford factory's. Not one new job created.

"Damn you sure know how to fock things up."-GFR
| Member # 2868 | Joined: 4-23-2007 |
lawbreaker2Male Offline
Virgo

Boat Racer
5,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
ohio
APPD 0.80
Post Rank: 15
Post Icon Posted: Feb. 28 2009,8:49 am Post # 3 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (WATERDOG @ Feb. 28 2009,3:53 am)
News out here said about 200 jobs. It also said that all my be transfered from other Ford factory's. Not one new job created.

I seen that part to, but hey they have too!!! modt of the old workers left the area GONE!!! packed up and left, and I don't see them coming back, cleveland is dead, they have run this city into the ground and not they want to bring it back, the cheif of police said the other day, If we can't get some police in here to protect the people in downtown then what ever buss. is here will leave and then cleveland is done.
 There was a shooting down town at one of the clubs 4 guys rob and shot in the back of the head 2 26 year kids out having a goodtime. so sad what has become of theis area.

| Member # 1668 | Joined: 8-07-2005 |
Dyce51Male Offline
Taurus

Boat Racer
1,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
Brunswick, Ohio
APPD 0.21
Post Rank: 38
no boat right now
Post Icon Posted: Feb. 28 2009,9:22 pm Post # 4 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (WATERDOG @ Feb. 28 2009,12:53 am)

for the initial start up it is 250 employees from other ford plants...then once the new engine takes hold they will hire more people to staff the plant and transfer some of the original 250 back to where they were...

Seems to be a long term thing ...not much help in the beginning but will help in the long run..

if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all
| Member # 2816 | Joined: 3-12-2007 |
Carrera EliteMale Offline
Libra
HDF Supporter

10,000 post flame10,000 post flame10,000 post flame10,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame100 post flame
Glendale,AZ
APPD 5.65
Post Rank: 2
1990 Carrera 23.5 Classic
Post Icon Posted: Mar. 01 2009,5:49 am Post # 5 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

That'll Be Great, If They Can Keep It Up And Running!! :good

Sarcasim, Just one more thing that I offer for free!!
I've Reached The Age Where Happy Hour Is A Nap!!

WWW.StormPokerRuns.Com

| Member # 8 | Joined: 12-04-2002 |
lawbreaker2Male Offline
Virgo

Boat Racer
5,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
ohio
APPD 0.80
Post Rank: 15
Post Icon Posted: Mar. 01 2009,7:04 am Post # 6 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (Dyce51 @ Mar. 01 2009,12:22 am)
Quote (WATERDOG @ Feb. 28 2009,12:53 am)

for the initial start up it is 250 employees from other ford plants...then once the new engine takes hold they will hire more people to staff the plant and transfer some of the original 250 back to where they were...

Seems to be a long term thing ...not much help in the beginning but will help in the long run..

Hey now I know he realy is starting to think like Nobama, LOL no gain now but just wait till 4 years from now, all will be good but in the meantime Just hang in there and well take care of you. Just remember to live with in your means cuz I'm going to tax the $hit out of you to pay for all that I have spent. LOL

| Member # 1668 | Joined: 8-07-2005 |
5 replies since Feb. 27 2009,9:44 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]
add a reply to this topic create a new topic create a new poll

navbarlogo
The Colorado River WebRing
‹ Prev | Hub | Like | Join | Surprise | Next ›

Please help keep HDF free. If you enjoy this site, feel free to make a donation to keep it running. THANKS!