Latest Posts:
flame4-27-2024 Three Word Post.....The Next Generation.... (Rep.#18,902) from: GoFastRacerflameflame4-27-2024 The Totally Useless Thread IV (Rep.#21) from: GoFastRacerflameflame4-27-2024 Brrrr (Rep.#14,836) from: GoFastRacerflameflame4-19-2024 Gas price in your area (Rep.#7,181) from: GoFastRacerflameflame4-01-2024 The Totally Useless Thread III (Rep.#11,248) from: Havasu Dougflame
No members are browsing this topic
Forum Led by: GoFastRacer

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]
add a reply to this topic create a new topic create a new poll
trawfishMale Offline

Boatless

Mesa, Arizona
APPD 0.00
Post Rank: 267
Commander Signature 26
Post Icon Posted: Jan. 30 2008,12:24 am Post # 1 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

I just pulled out my 7.4 mpi with an m1-sc Procharger. It runs fine, but this engine was built with cast internals. I have a 454 efi setup that I am looking to install and some 088 rectangle ports in mind. Not looking for balls out power, but I want to do the best I can on a budget?

#1 - Does anyone see a problem with that efi setup/heads on a gen vi block?

#2 - What do you recommend for a rotating assembly?

#3 - What do you recommend for a cam (has fairly midl roller hydraulic in it now)?

#4 -  Who is a good machine shop in the east valley (AZ)

#5 -  Do the 088 heads already have hard seats? have'nt looked at them yet.

#6 - And finally, am I going to need to toss the stock lead weight mercruiser exhaust?

** This is a 26' deep v  w/bravo1

Thanks
| Member # 1487 | Joined: 6-06-2005 |
GoFastRacerMale Offline
HDF Supporter
V-Driver For Life!
50,000 post flame10,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
Big River, Ca
APPD 8.08
Post Rank: 1
Spectra20
Post Icon Posted: Jan. 30 2008,6:40 am Post # 2 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

First of all, what kind of rpm and speed are you running now, and what are you looking for????.. If you're going to do a rebuild, I would suggest going with a forged setup, you can get good deals on Scat or Eagle, I'd lean towards the Scat myself the machine work is way better!.. With a 26' deep V you need torque, the 088's are like 990's and make the power on the top end 6000 on up, they will fit on your block though, what do you have for heads now??. Cam depends on rpm range you plan to run!.. Not familiar with your exhaust but depending on what you're going to do they may not be that bad??, exhaust systems can ruin a budget real quick and may not get the benefit for the money!.. For machine shops, I don't know any that Id go to in the east, I tried some and all they did was all but ruin the parts, when I put my numbers down that's the way I need it done, not the way "they" think it should be done!.. I have one guy that listens and does what I want and when I measure it all up it comes out on the money, the only draw back is that he's in Glendale but it's worth the drive to get it done right!..... BTW, where you at in Mesa???..
website  | Member # 101 | Joined: 3-03-2003 |
trawfishMale Offline

Boatless

Mesa, Arizona
APPD 0.00
Commander Signature 26
Post Icon Posted: Jan. 30 2008,9:47 am Post # 3 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Right now I am running 64mph at 4600 rpm (5psi) and turning a 26p bravo1 prop. I am definately looking to go with forged internals that will tolerate the supercharger, this is the primary reason I am breaking down the engine. I like that you recommend Scat as I have used them back in the day and had no complaints. Right now I have the stock Mercruiser 7.4 MPI setup which is basically a GM vortech type set up with small injectors (maybe 25-27lbs) and oval (peanut) port heads. I bought a mercruiser 454 Magnum type injection off e-bay which comes with larger injectors, larger throttle body and fits square port heads in hopes of letting the supercharger do it's thing a little better. My big issue right now is looking for heads, or a complete long block with forged internals and square ports. I can pretty much only use my old block and maybe rods from the current set up. What do you think your recommended shop would run for a rotating assembly and block work?

Oh yeah! east Mesa out off Signal Butte, how about you?
Carrera EliteMale Offline
Libra
HDF Supporter

10,000 post flame10,000 post flame10,000 post flame10,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame100 post flame
Glendale,AZ
APPD 5.65
Post Rank: 2
1990 Carrera 23.5 Classic
Post Icon Posted: Jan. 30 2008,10:59 am Post # 4 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (trawfish @ Jan. 30 2008,10:47 am)
I can pretty much only use my old block and maybe rods from the current set up. What do you think your recommended shop would run for a rotating assembly and block work?

I Would Use Better Rods While You Are There.....

Signal Butte.....Isn't That West Apatche Junction?? :D

Sarcasim, Just one more thing that I offer for free!!
I've Reached The Age Where Happy Hour Is A Nap!!

WWW.StormPokerRuns.Com

| Member # 8 | Joined: 12-04-2002 |
trawfishMale Offline

Boatless

Mesa, Arizona
APPD 0.00
Commander Signature 26
Post Icon Posted: Jan. 30 2008,12:02 pm Post # 5 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (Carrera Elite @ Jan. 30 2008,10:59 am)
I can pretty much only use my old block and maybe rods from the current set up. What do you think your recommended shop would run for a rotating assembly and block work?

Signal Butte.....Isn't That West Apatche Junction?? :D

Yeah.... We like to call it the Mesa Panhandle cause it's actullay Mesa, but you can find a trailer park within two miles in any direction.. :(
GoFastRacerMale Offline
HDF Supporter
V-Driver For Life!
50,000 post flame10,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
Big River, Ca
APPD 8.08
Spectra20
Post Icon Posted: Jan. 31 2008,4:35 am Post # 6 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (Carrera Elite @ Jan. 30 2008,11:59 am)

If you get a rotaing assembly you get the good rods!. :D
GoFastRacerMale Offline
HDF Supporter
V-Driver For Life!
Big River, Ca
APPD 8.08
Spectra20
Post Icon Posted: Jan. 31 2008,5:00 am Post # 7 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Right now I am running 64mph at 4600 rpm (5psi) and turning a 26p bravo1 prop. I am definately looking to go with forged internals that will tolerate the supercharger, this is the primary reason I am breaking down the engine. I like that you recommend Scat as I have used them back in the day and had no complaints. Right now I have the stock Mercruiser 7.4 MPI setup which is basically a GM vortech type set up with small injectors (maybe 25-27lbs) and oval (peanut) port heads. I bought a mercruiser 454 Magnum type injection off e-bay which comes with larger injectors, larger throttle body and fits square port heads in hopes of letting the supercharger do it's thing a little better. My big issue right now is looking for heads, or a complete long block with forged internals and square ports. I can pretty much only use my old block and maybe rods from the current set up. What do you think your recommended shop would run for a rotating assembly and block work?

Well, looks like you're not going to be turning a lot of rpm's so the big heads are going to kill you, but you need to get rid off the peanut heads they are holding you back big time, a good set of 049's(or equivilant)with the big valves and a clean up will wake it up even without the supercharger!... If your block is good no sense in buying another engine, you'll still need to rebuild it, you're better off just getting a rotating assembly and use your block, be way cheaper!.. You can pick up a complete assembly for $1600-$1800 just have to search it out, I like this outfit here, they have good prices and are good to deal with, but there are others out there also!.. As far as machine work, don't know until you have it all apart and measure/check everything out!... If it was me I would make a 496 out of it!..

Flatlander!

I'm in esat Mesa too but you're a little farther out, I'm at Recker and McKellips!...

Edited by GoFastRacer on Jan. 31 2008,5:02 am
6 replies since Jan. 30 2008,12:24 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]
add a reply to this topic create a new topic create a new poll

navbarlogo
The Colorado River WebRing
‹ Prev | Hub | Like | Join | Surprise | Next ›

Please help keep HDF free. If you enjoy this site, feel free to make a donation to keep it running. THANKS!