Latest Posts:
flame5-18-2024 Three Word Post.....The Next Generation.... (Rep.#18,958) from: GoFastRacerflameflame5-18-2024 The Totally Useless Thread IV (Rep.#35) from: GoFastRacerflameflame5-18-2024 Gas price in your area (Rep.#7,189) from: GoFastRacerflameflame5-18-2024 Brrrr (Rep.#14,846) from: GoFastRacerflameflame4-01-2024 The Totally Useless Thread III (Rep.#11,248) from: Havasu Dougflame
No members are browsing this topic
Forum Led by: knuckle head

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]
add a reply to this topic create a new topic create a new poll
WATERDOGMale Offline
Gemini
HDF Silver Supporter
Don't Bother Me, I'm in Havi
10,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
MENIFEE, CA
APPD 1.65
Post Rank: 8
ELIMINATOR EAGLE
Post Icon Posted: Nov. 23 2009,11:46 pm Post # 1 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Few boaters take advantage of free vessel safety check.

By JAYNE HANSON
Monday, November 23, 2009 6:50 AM MST

Three boats showed up for a free vessel safety check Sunday offered by the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary group in Lake Havasu City.

“That is three more safe boats than before (the check),” said Jane Vignoni, Flotilla 9-2 staff officer for vessel exams and marine dealer visits. “It is very difficult to get people to stop and get their vessels examined.”

The Havasu-based group is the oldest flotilla on the Colorado River and was originally organized about 40 years ago, she said.

Brian and Mishael Newton, owners of Havasu Customs, stopped in at the checkpoint located at the gate to Lake Havasu State Park to have their 35-foot Nordic Flame checked out.

Mishael Newton said the couple has participated in safety checks in the past.

Flotilla 9-2 commander Arnold Vignoni started by checking the Nordic’s registration, registration numbers, vehicle identification numbers them moved on to flotation device with advice to the boat owners to always check the condition of the devices’ buckles.

An inventory of other safety equipment, a quick-engine check and making sure the boat’s navigation lights were operable followed during the inspection.

One thing that came into question were flares, which are required if the vessel is taken into the ocean. Because the Newtons reported they have operated their boat in the Pacific Ocean, Arnold Vignoni stressed the importance of flares being up-to-date.

“If the (U.S.) Coast Guard checks you on the ocean, they will check the dates of the flares,” Arnold Vignoni said.

The owners of the Nordic were awarded a decal showing the vessel has been inspected by the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary as well as a goodie-bag filled with pamphlets including information about tri-state boating laws, quagga mussel infestation, carbon monoxide poisoning, personal flotation devices, fire extinguishers and a boating trail guide.

The safety check also included free boat launch for the day at Lake Havasu State Park. The vessel inspection took about 15 minutes to complete.

The check would normally have seen 10-15 boats come through, said the Flotilla commander. Cooler weather, the early morning hour and other events occurring in town all play a part in the number of boaters who pull through, he said.

The U.S. Coast Guard volunteer group offers vessel safety checks four times a year and will make house calls to perform the checks, both Vignonis said.

"Damn you sure know how to fock things up."-GFR
| Member # 2868 | Joined: 4-23-2007 |
Carrera EliteMale Offline
Libra
HDF Supporter

10,000 post flame10,000 post flame10,000 post flame10,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame100 post flame
Glendale,AZ
APPD 5.63
Post Rank: 2
1990 Carrera 23.5 Classic
Post Icon Posted: Nov. 26 2009,7:18 am Post # 2 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Is That Something That They Advertise?? :stupid  Maybe If They Did That On A Summer Weekend, It Would Be A Little Better.....

Sarcasim, Just one more thing that I offer for free!!
I've Reached The Age Where Happy Hour Is A Nap!!

WWW.StormPokerRuns.Com

| Member # 8 | Joined: 12-04-2002 |
WATERDOGMale Offline
Gemini
HDF Silver Supporter
Don't Bother Me, I'm in Havi
10,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
MENIFEE, CA
APPD 1.65
Post Rank: 8
ELIMINATOR EAGLE
Post Icon Posted: Nov. 26 2009,8:50 am Post # 3 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (Carrera Elite @ Nov. 26 2009,7:18 am)
Is That Something That They Advertise?? :stupid  Maybe If They Did That On A Summer Weekend, It Would Be A Little Better.....

Says they do it 4 times a year. I've never seen it advertised, not even in the local paper. Seems that many would do it just for the launch pass. What caught my eye that Brian was having his boat inspected. I think it was just a photo op for him. He's more qualified to do inspections than antbody in the aux. unit.  :beat

"Damn you sure know how to fock things up."-GFR
| Member # 2868 | Joined: 4-23-2007 |
2 replies since Nov. 23 2009,11:46 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]
add a reply to this topic create a new topic create a new poll

navbarlogo
The Colorado River WebRing
‹ Prev | Hub | Like | Join | Surprise | Next ›

Please help keep HDF free. If you enjoy this site, feel free to make a donation to keep it running. THANKS!