Latest Posts:
flame5-18-2024 Three Word Post.....The Next Generation.... (Rep.#18,958) from: GoFastRacerflameflame5-18-2024 The Totally Useless Thread IV (Rep.#35) from: GoFastRacerflameflame5-18-2024 Gas price in your area (Rep.#7,189) from: GoFastRacerflameflame5-18-2024 Brrrr (Rep.#14,846) from: GoFastRacerflameflame4-01-2024 The Totally Useless Thread III (Rep.#11,248) from: Havasu Dougflame
No members are browsing this topic
Forum Led by: knuckle head

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]
add a reply to this topic create a new topic create a new poll
wakemakerMale Offline
Libra

Boater
100 post flame
nuevo ca/topock az
APPD 0.02
Post Rank: 114
22" Tahoe deck boat 222 5.0
Post Icon Posted: June 22 2009,8:28 pm Post # 1 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Lake Havasu has had a major fish die off I was there saturday and it stinks bad.
At the mouth of the river there is about a 50 foot round island of dead floating fish its gross and in the channel the kids were counting dead fish they stopped at 50.
 It has something to do with lake Mojave and some alge.
  might be going up the 4th hope its cleaned up.
  anyone have more info?

Have I passed you on the river?
| Member # 118 | Joined: 3-16-2003 |
Carrera EliteMale Offline
Libra
HDF Supporter

10,000 post flame10,000 post flame10,000 post flame10,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame100 post flame
Glendale,AZ
APPD 5.63
Post Rank: 2
1990 Carrera 23.5 Classic
Post Icon Posted: June 22 2009,9:37 pm Post # 2 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Carp die-off

KINGMAN, Ariz. (AP)

Arizona Game and Fish Department biologists believe a virus that killed thousands of carp in Lake Mohave is doing the same at Lake Havasu.

However, officials say there will likely be additional testing next week to confirm the connection.

Biologists say that as water temperatures warm up in late spring, the Koi Herpes Virus impacts gill function and can lead to suffocation and/or secondary infections in carp, koi, and goldfish.

While there were some bacterial issues with the Lake Mohave carp, lab tests indicated KHV was the primary cause of the die-off.

Sarcasim, Just one more thing that I offer for free!!
I've Reached The Age Where Happy Hour Is A Nap!!

WWW.StormPokerRuns.Com

| Member # 8 | Joined: 12-04-2002 |
Libra
HDF Supporter

10,000 post flame10,000 post flame10,000 post flame10,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame100 post flame
Glendale,AZ
APPD 5.63
Post Icon Posted: June 22 2009,9:38 pm Post # 3 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Fish herpes causes die-off in Lake Havasu

By Adam Klawonn · June 10, 2009

LAKE HAVASU — Dead carp are floating to the surface of two of Arizona’s most popular lakes because of a virus that has infected the waters there.

The virus is called KHV, which is short for Koi Herpes Virus. It normally affects koi,  goldfish and carp, and the telltale signs of its presence is visible in white spots along the sides of the fish or an overall loss of blood.

The virus, which does not affect humans, started in Lake Mohave and has now worked its way down the Colorado River to Lake Havasu, according to press reports. It kills fish by impacting their gill function, essentially suffocating them.

Anglers have been reporting large number of dead carp floating along the shorelines of the two lakes. Authorities are telling Today’s News-Herald that it’s safe to handle and eat the fish, but that anglers should err on the side of safety and avoid them.

Authorities say the virus flourishes in warm waters, and that lake temperatures have been rising due to the falling water level.

WWW.StormPokerRuns.Com

Libra
HDF Supporter

Glendale,AZ
APPD 5.63
Post Icon Posted: June 22 2009,9:40 pm Post # 4 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Carp die-off in Lake Havasu increases

Arizona Game & Fish Dept. · Monday, June 22, 2009 at 10:34 am

“Locations downriver from Lake Havasu may be impacted
as this virus runs its course through the river system.”

People visiting and living in Lake Havasu have been witnessing the sight of dead carp at the lake, and the problem isn’t likely to quickly vanish.

Arizona Game and Fish Department biologists believe the Koi Herpes Virus (KHV) that killed thousands of carp in Lake Mohave, is the same culprit for the die-off at Lake Havasu. However, there will likely be additional testing next week to confirm this fact. A timeline for final results from the testing is unknown.

The KHV – which can impact carp as water temperatures warm in late spring – impacts gill function and can lead to suffocation and/or secondary infections in carp, koi, and goldfish. While there were some bacterial issues with the Lake Mohave carp, lab tests from the Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Lab indicated KHV was the primary cause of the die-off.

KHV is not a threat to public health, and it does not affect other wildlife. Recent rumors of other species dying off are unfounded at this point in time.

“Just like with any living thing, fish die,” said Zen Mocarski, information and education program manager with the Game and Fish Kingman office. “There have been other species found along the shoreline, but those numbers represent only the normal amount that would be found at any given time.”

KHV is viewed as the likely cause of the die-off at Lake Havasu because carp remain the only species impacted and Lake Havasu is downriver from Lake Mohave, where this event originated. Locations downriver from Lake Havasu may be impacted as this virus runs its course through the river system.

“While this is not viewed as a public safety threat, anglers should probably focus on fishing for other species the lake has to offer and people handling the dead fish along the shoreline should take precautions, such as wearing gloves,” said Andy Clark, fisheries program manager for the Game and Fish Kingman office. “This is the case when handling anything that’s died.”

The die-off, Clark said, is not associated with a water quality issue, which would have impacted all species of fish in the lake.

In the middle of May, carp began washing up on shorelines along Lake Mohave and within a week the numbers began to multiply. Shortly afterward, a small number of carp were found dead at Lake Havasu. That number ballooned in recent days and dead fish have littered the shoreline, with the locations driven primarily by prevailing winds.

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and Arizona Game and Fish biologists have monitored the shoreline at Lake Havasu and have observed the same traits associated with the die-off at Lake Mohave: white spots along the sides of the gills and a lack of blood in the gills.

While the die-off at Lake Mohave has slowed and provided National Park Service an opportunity to clean dead fish from developed areas such as Cottonwood Cove and Katherine’s Landing, the duration of the die-off at Lake Havasu remains unknown primarily because of water temperatures.

“There’s really no way to know for sure,” Clark said. “I hesitate to make predictions with an issue for which we have no control. Even after the peak of the die-off has passed, it’s highly probable dead carp will continue to wash up on shorelines in smaller numbers.”

WWW.StormPokerRuns.Com

GoFastRacerMale Offline
HDF Supporter
V-Driver For Life!
50,000 post flame10,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
Big River, Ca
APPD 8.06
Post Rank: 1
Spectra20
Post Icon Posted: June 23 2009,6:59 am Post # 5 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

That sucks!.. :(
website  | Member # 101 | Joined: 3-03-2003 |
Hockey FamilyMale Offline
Pisces

Boat Racer
500 post flame
SoCal / WeAzz
APPD 0.08
Post Rank: 62
'06 Monterey 214FS
Post Icon Posted: June 23 2009,1:19 pm Post # 6 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

""it’s safe to handle and eat the fish""    :puke

Hockey Family

Can I sue Los Angeles if their boycott reduces my AZ property value?!?
http://www.azfightsback.com/
website  | Member # 2827 | Joined: 3-29-2007 |
Pisces

Boat Racer
500 post flame
SoCal / WeAzz
APPD 0.08
'06 Monterey 214FS
Post Icon Posted: June 23 2009,1:34 pm Post # 7 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Dang...

We're also planning to go for the 4th. Sounds like it'll be gross. Thanks for the info, I'll try to keep up with the conditions in the next week.

Hockey Family

shuemanMale Offline
Libra
HDF Gold Supporter
Born To Drive...
10,000 post flame5,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
Alta Loma CA
APPD 2.32
Post Rank: 4
NADA
Post Icon Posted: June 25 2009,5:21 am Post # 8 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Hey, look at the bright side... :good Elsinore is now cleaner and safer than Havasu... :laugh
| Member # 376 | Joined: 2-01-2004 |
WATERDOGMale Offline
Gemini
HDF Silver Supporter
Don't Bother Me, I'm in Havi
10,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
MENIFEE, CA
APPD 1.65
Post Rank: 8
ELIMINATOR EAGLE
Post Icon Posted: June 25 2009,8:11 am Post # 9 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Thru the weekend and week days, we saw numerous people on the beachs, lots of peeps on boats cleaning the remote beaches and campsites, as well as others picking up fish floating about the lake. Seems that Havi is really staying on top of this. Stayed mostly on the south end of the lake. Only saw about 40-50 fish total the whole time there. There was a bit of oder kind of everywhere. :stupid

"Damn you sure know how to fock things up."-GFR
| Member # 2868 | Joined: 4-23-2007 |
Pisces

Boat Racer
500 post flame
SoCal / WeAzz
APPD 0.08
'06 Monterey 214FS
Post Icon Posted: June 25 2009,11:43 am Post # 10 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

After reading this the other day, I told the kids about it and asked if they still wanted to go, or stay local.

They still want to go. We may end up staying up in the river near moabi rather than heading down into the lake.
At least that could save me some gas $$.

Hockey Family

WATERDOGMale Offline
Gemini
HDF Silver Supporter
Don't Bother Me, I'm in Havi
10,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
MENIFEE, CA
APPD 1.65
Post Rank: 8
ELIMINATOR EAGLE
Post Icon Posted: June 25 2009,1:33 pm Post # 11 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (Hockey Family @ June 25 2009,11:43 am)
After reading this the other day, I told the kids about it and asked if they still wanted to go, or stay local.

They still want to go. We may end up staying up in the river near moabi rather than heading down into the lake.

This Koi Herpes came in fast and hit hard. I'm guessing two weeks from now you'll never even know what happened. Even last Sun thru Wed afternoon was not that unpleasant.

"Damn you sure know how to fock things up."-GFR
| Member # 2868 | Joined: 4-23-2007 |
Pisces

Boat Racer
500 post flame
SoCal / WeAzz
APPD 0.08
'06 Monterey 214FS
Post Icon Posted: June 26 2009,10:38 am Post # 12 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (WATERDOG @ June 25 2009,1:33 pm)
Quote (Hockey Family @ June 25 2009,11:43 am)

This Koi Herpes came in fast and hit hard. I'm guessing two weeks from now you'll never even know what happened. Even last Sun thru Wed afternoon was not that unpleasant.

:good  :good

Hockey Family

DirtySquirtyMale Offline
Sagittarius
HDF Supporter
Boy named Sue
10,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
Ventura, CA
APPD 2.00
Post Rank: 6
Post Icon Posted: June 29 2009,7:53 pm Post # 13 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Gonna play on the River....dead Carp will be floating by......sounds like the next big Country & Western hit.  :good  :laugh

"It seemed like a hell of an idea at the time".
website  | Member # 3157 | Joined: 9-06-2007 |
Pisces

Boat Racer
500 post flame
SoCal / WeAzz
APPD 0.08
'06 Monterey 214FS
Post Icon Posted: June 30 2009,10:07 am Post # 14 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (DirtySquirty @ June 29 2009,7:53 pm)
Gonna play on the River....dead Carp will be floating by......

.......honey don't worry 'bout dinner, bring'n home a boat load for you, emily, and ely.....  

Hockey Family

13 replies since June 22 2009,8:28 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]
add a reply to this topic create a new topic create a new poll

navbarlogo
The Colorado River WebRing
‹ Prev | Hub | Like | Join | Surprise | Next ›

Please help keep HDF free. If you enjoy this site, feel free to make a donation to keep it running. THANKS!