Latest Posts:
flame5-01-2024 Three Word Post.....The Next Generation.... (Rep.#18,909) from: GoFastRacerflameflame4-29-2024 The Totally Useless Thread IV (Rep.#23) from: GoFastRacerflameflame4-29-2024 Brrrr (Rep.#14,838) from: GoFastRacerflameflame4-29-2024 Gas price in your area (Rep.#7,183) from: GoFastRacerflameflame4-01-2024 The Totally Useless Thread III (Rep.#11,248) from: Havasu Dougflame
No members are browsing this topic
Forum Led by: Havasu Doug

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]
add a reply to this topic create a new topic create a new poll
Havasu DougMale Offline
Pisces
HDF Gold Supporter
Delta Tau Chi - ΔTX
10,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame100 post flame
North Padre Island, Texas
APPD 1.56
Post Rank: 7
'78 Challenger jet
Post Icon Posted: Sep. 12 2003,9:56 am Post # 1 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

For those that already haven't noticed, I had to lower the limit of the file attachment size to 75K.  This board actually ran for the first 4 months without the capability at all and we still posted pics by using the "image" button and already hosted url.  For convenience, I added the feature, but made it clear that it would be taken away if it was overused.  This is a free site to all and I make absolutely no money from it.  The cost of hosting comes out of my pocket.  As my "uploaded" file size grows, it puts my server space limits in jeopardy.  A recently uploaded pic to this board was over 450K and that is just WAY too big.  Everyone is more than welcome to post  pics they have hosted on their own sites using the "Image" button.  In the case where the format is not postable here, or where the host prevents it from showing on other sites, you are more than welcome to link to the pic using the "http://" button.

This new limit still allows uploading, but within reason. :)

Thanks for your understanding. :)

HD

website  | Member # 1 | Joined: 12-02-2002 |
EctosourceMale Offline
Aries

Hot Boater
100 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
Laguna Niguel, CA
APPD 0.04
Post Rank: 75
Post Icon Posted: Sep. 12 2003,10:02 am Post # 2 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Doug,
Since I have not limit on my server, I will be using the Image button from now on. Makes perfect sense to me. You already know the link to my photos site. There will be plenty more to come.  :beer

| Member # 182 | Joined: 8-26-2003 |
Havasu DougMale Offline
Pisces
HDF Gold Supporter
Delta Tau Chi - ΔTX
APPD 1.56
'78 Challenger jet
Post Icon Posted: Sep. 12 2003,10:16 am Post # 3 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (Ectosource @ Sep. 12 2003,10:02 am)
Doug,
Since I have not limit on my server, I will be using the Image button from now on. Makes perfect sense to me. You already know the link to my photos site. There will be plenty more to come.  :beer

Cool.  :cool  Thanks for your understanding. :)

For those that need a little further instruction on how to post a pic FROM the internet do this:

1. With your mouse cursor over the pic right click it.
2. Select "Properties".
3. Highlight the "Address:(URL)" and right click that.
4. Select "Copy".
5. Now in your post, click the "Image" button.
6. A box now opens and "http://" shows in it by default.
7. With the cursor over that "http://" right click the mouse again.
8. Now select "Paste".
9. After the URL is pasted in the box, click "OK".
10. The code is now in your post and will show when you "Add Reply". :)

miller19jMale Offline
Leo

Super Focker!
1,000 post flame500 post flame100 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
Solvang
APPD 0.24
Post Rank: 34
Boat with an Engine Cover
Post Icon Posted: Sep. 12 2003,4:20 pm Post # 4 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

There are a lot of places to host Images Hotboat, Hotboatpics, Ect. I think I will just continue to host them over there and use the Image link.  :good

Miller(Doing my part to help the forums)19j

Hey Sleek Bite Me!
| Member # 5 | Joined: 12-03-2002 |
RIVERRATMIKEMale Offline
Taurus

River House Owner/0 Miles From Havasu!
1,000 post flame1,000 post flame500 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
Lake Havasu City/Parker, AZ
APPD 0.36
Post Rank: 23
1986 28ft Chris Craft Stinger
Post Icon Posted: Sep. 13 2003,1:28 am Post # 5 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Got it. I might have been the one that posted the 450K photo but had no idea that there was limits. I'll start using 640x480 right around 51K for now on. Sorry if I was the cause of this.

website  | Member # 74 | Joined: 1-20-2003 |
Big Wake JakeMale Offline

Boatless

Calif
APPD 0.00
Post Rank: 237
Post Icon Posted: Sep. 13 2003,6:34 am Post # 6 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Just as this site was starting to take off. Maybe it's a good sign.

So let me get this straight:

If I bring Pics over from the Hotboat Image Center through  the image button, it's OK and your capacity isn't effected?

Do you sell banners ads?

Thanks

Edited by Big Wake Jake on Sep. 13 2003,6:47 am

"Being Fearless, Doesn't Mean Being Stupid"
| Member # 196 | Joined: 8-27-2003 |
Havasu DougMale Offline
Pisces
HDF Gold Supporter
Delta Tau Chi - ΔTX
APPD 1.56
'78 Challenger jet
Post Icon Posted: Sep. 13 2003,8:59 am Post # 7 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (Big Wake Jake @ Sep. 13 2003,6:34 am)
Just as this site was starting to take off. Maybe it's a good sign.

So let me get this straight:

If I bring Pics over from the Hotboat Image Center through  the image button, it's OK and your capacity isn't effected?

Do you sell banners ads?

Thanks

That is correct on using the "Image" button.  It keeps the bandwidth usage and server space lower here.  As of the date of this post, I don't sell banner ads here, so that's why I have to keep my costs under control.  If this place ever becomes a money maker, then increased costs will become justifiable. :)

While traffic on this site is nothing compared to hotboat, it has grown to a level that I never imagined.  It has been enjoyable for me to run it and I'd like to keep it that way. :D

Thanks for your understanding. :)

Havasu DougMale Offline
Pisces
HDF Gold Supporter
Delta Tau Chi - ΔTX
APPD 1.56
'78 Challenger jet
Post Icon Posted: Sep. 13 2003,9:15 am Post # 8 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (RIVERRATMIKE @ Sep. 13 2003,1:28 am)
Got it. I might have been the one that posted the 450K photo but had no idea that there was limits. I'll start using 640x480 right around 51K for now on. Sorry if I was the cause of this.

No problem Mike.  This is actually the third server my site has been on and the second server this board has been on.  I exceeded my bandwidth limits on my original free hosting site soon after I joined the other boards.

Around 3 months after this board was born, I neared the capacity that I was paying for at the time.  Going over is sort of like using extra minutes on your cell phone plan.  They nail you for it!

I moved to a different server around 7 months ago with way more capacity, but it's still nothing compared to hotboat.  That's where we're at now. :D

Big Wake JakeMale Offline

Boatless

Calif
APPD 0.00
Post Rank: 237
Post Icon Posted: Sep. 16 2003,3:46 pm Post # 9 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

HD,

What would it cost for a dedicated server with a site like yours on it with lots of mega bandwith and capacity?

Just curious.

I visit several forums and some seem like they have bottomless amounts of capacity, some have to really ration it.

Thanks
Jake

"Being Fearless, Doesn't Mean Being Stupid"
| Member # 196 | Joined: 8-27-2003 |
Havasu DougMale Offline
Pisces
HDF Gold Supporter
Delta Tau Chi - ΔTX
APPD 1.56
'78 Challenger jet
Post Icon Posted: Sep. 16 2003,6:25 pm Post # 10 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (Big Wake Jake @ Sep. 16 2003,3:46 pm)
HD,

What would it cost for a dedicated server with a site like yours on it with lots of mega bandwith and capacity?

Just curious.

I visit several forums and some seem like they have bottomless amounts of capacity, some have to really ration it.

Thanks
Jake

I'm not sure how much it would cost, but I know it wouldn't be feasible for me as this is not a money making business for me.  Hotboat, for example, gains new subscriptions by providing the boards to the public for free.  I'm sure whatever costs they incur are covered by the business they generate.  Another popular site amongst the boaters has the same situation, but on a much smaller scale.  Most of the remaining sites sell products (shirts, hats, etc.), which cover the costs of hosting.  Hopefully if this board grows, it may be able to generate some money in the future through sales and/or advertising. When that day comes, the proceeds will go towards more bandwidth and server space.  I have plenty of space still left now.  I'm just trying to do some long term planning to prolong the life of my space. :D

NapanuttMale Offline
Pisces

Boater
100 post flame
Not too far from water
APPD 0.02
Post Rank: 113
Post Icon Posted: Sep. 16 2003,10:53 pm Post # 11 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Long live HD's...my first experience with forums of any kind (no shit)... :good pretty cool... :D

Deal with it!
| Member # 129 | Joined: 4-25-2003 |
EctosourceMale Offline
Aries

Hot Boater
Laguna Niguel, CA
APPD 0.04
Post Icon Posted: Sep. 19 2003,11:24 am Post # 12 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

HD,
I have created a folder on my server that will store some pics for us. If you would like access to put some of the pics let me know. I will use it specifically for HD stuff (mostly for the Bikini Team), hence the folder name "ectosource.com/hdstorage"  :good

Havasu DougMale Offline
Pisces
HDF Gold Supporter
Delta Tau Chi - ΔTX
APPD 1.56
'78 Challenger jet
Post Icon Posted: Sep. 19 2003,11:43 am Post # 13 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (Ectosource @ Sep. 19 2003,11:24 am)
HD,
I have created a folder on my server that will store some pics for us. If you would like access to put some of the pics let me know. I will use it specifically for HD stuff (mostly for the Bikini Team), hence the folder name "ectosource.com/hdstorage"  :good

Cool.  :cool  I'm sure we'll have stuff to put in there after RD's B-Day. :D

EctosourceMale Offline
Aries

Hot Boater
Laguna Niguel, CA
APPD 0.04
Post Icon Posted: Sep. 19 2003,12:25 pm Post # 14 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (Havasu Doug @ Sep. 19 2003,11:43 am)
Quote (Ectosource @ Sep. 19 2003,11:24 am)
HD,

Cool.  :cool  I'm sure we'll have stuff to put in there after RD's B-Day. :D

Yea Babay!  :D
:peace Out

13 replies since Sep. 12 2003,9:56 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]
add a reply to this topic create a new topic create a new poll

navbarlogo
The Colorado River WebRing
‹ Prev | Hub | Like | Join | Surprise | Next ›

Please help keep HDF free. If you enjoy this site, feel free to make a donation to keep it running. THANKS!