Latest Posts:
flame4-25-2024 Three Word Post.....The Next Generation.... (Rep.#18,901) from: BigDogflameflame4-25-2024 The Totally Useless Thread IV (Rep.#20) from: BigDogflameflame4-25-2024 Brrrr (Rep.#14,835) from: BigDogflameflame4-19-2024 Gas price in your area (Rep.#7,181) from: GoFastRacerflameflame4-01-2024 The Totally Useless Thread III (Rep.#11,248) from: Havasu Dougflame
No members are browsing this topic
Forum Led by: Sleek-Jet

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]
add a reply to this topic create a new topic create a new poll
Scuba SteveMale Offline
Pisces
HDF Supporter
National Streaking Champs
1,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
Mesa, AZ
APPD 0.55
Post Rank: 17
Post Icon Posted: Aug. 06 2003,11:23 am Post # 1 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Roz or anyone. I dont know crap about stereos,  I have a decent above average stereo system in the boat. All planet audio components. I didnt want to spend big $ on a boat stereo. 2 -400 watt amps 1 for the subs & 1 for the 6 pairs of mids & highs. It hits pretty good & is loud for what I have. No distortion from what I can tell when maxed out.

Head unit is a kenwood 319

Anyway I want more sound at the rear of the boat when we are just kicking it back there, and was thinking that some loose (boxed) 6x9's would work, this way I can just take them out when needed and put them on the hatch or on top of the bimini.

My question is would it be better to get a bigger amp for my mids & highs (currenty a 4 channel) and add the 6x9s to that, or get an amp just for the 6x9's.  

I dont want to walk into a stereo shop and have them try to sell me an entire new package. I want to go in there and kind of know what I am talking about. I am assuming a new amp for the 6x9s would be best, I will also need to add a crossover right?

Now the battery question, I currently have 2 interstate batteries running everything w/a perko. I want to have one for the engine and add 2 optimas for the system. Is that something I can do myself, or should I have a profesional set that up? Will I also need a better alternator?

Thanks for your help in advance.  :good

Everyone is welcome.... No one is safe.
| Member # 149 | Joined: 6-17-2003 |
ROZMale Offline

Tune Pimp

Vista, Ca.
APPD 0.01
Post Rank: 198
Post Icon Posted: Aug. 07 2003,12:33 am Post # 2 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Scuba,

Adding another battery is something you can tackle easily. The stereo batteries are wired parallel. There are several brands of isolators that allow you to provide a charge to the battery without taking the alternator too much, but upgrading is always a best bet. Especially when charging in the all position.

A couple questions:

From what I read this setup is only to be used when sound is needed outside the boat and stored under the hatch when not in use?

Does the 4 channel amp have an output? You may not need a crossover if it does....

Model numbers of the amps(series of amp) and headunit? Kdc319 kdc3019 krc319? CD?

Are the 3 pr of speakers seperates as in tweeter ans mid are mounted seperate from each other, and are all three run off the amp?

Is your current power wire setup going to be able to handle adding another amp into the mix? You may have to modify or completely rewire your power/ground distribution.

If you choose to run a 50x2(?) amp dedicated to the 6x9's, you could have the installer install a seperate remote switch so the amp isn't on all the time.

Chris
website  | Member # 38 | Joined: 1-07-2003 |
Scuba SteveMale Offline
Pisces
HDF Supporter
1,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
Mesa, AZ
APPD 0.55
Post Icon Posted: Aug. 07 2003,8:46 am Post # 3 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Well I knew I should have had some of the model#s ready for you. I'll have to check out the amps next time I hit the river.

The Head unit I believe is the kdc319 cd

Yes the set up would only be used when sound is needed outside the boat and stored in the hatch otherwise.

I have a pair of mids & tweets, in the bow, the side panel (by the driver & passenger) and beneath the bench set. They are all running off the same amp.

I have no clue how the wire set up is.  :stupid I kind of have the feeling I will need to have everything re-wired to handle this task.

Also what would be a good amp &  6x9 combo? Does that depend on what amps I have now? Should I go with a 2 or 3 way 6x9. I kind of want to keep this entire project, including the batteries under 1k. (good luck huh)  

Thanks for your time Chris. :D

ROZMale Offline

Tune Pimp

Vista, Ca.
APPD 0.01
Post Icon Posted: Aug. 07 2003,12:44 pm Post # 4 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Do your amps resemble this:

Or this:

After checking the www.planetaudiousa.com website, I found that the current models DO have a preout. The RCA cables can be wired from the 4ch amp output to the new amp's input. Provided your amp has this feature, you won't need a crossover.

Whether to go 2 way or 3 way is really going to be up to your ears(all speakers sound different) and what the retailer has in stock.

If you choose to stick with PA (asthetics to match the rest of your system), I'd go with something simple like the TT2100(50x2 @ 4ohms) ot the TT260(30X2 @4ohms). I think the TT260 will do the job and the TT2100 would be more than enough power for a pair of 6x9's that will be used sparsly.

You'll probably need atleast 2ga wire from the battery to fused distribution blocks, and 4ga from the distribution block to the amps.

Again, since the use of the gear ou plan to install is ocasional, I'd have a seperate turn on switch installed.
Scuba SteveMale Offline
Pisces
HDF Supporter
Mesa, AZ
APPD 0.55
Post Icon Posted: Aug. 07 2003,2:54 pm Post # 5 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

I wish my amps looked that nice. I must have the 2001 or 2002 models. They look big & blocky.

I would like on of those remote subwoofer control things too. :cool

Can any "boat" stereo shop be authorized to sell PA components, if I tell them thats what I want to use? I knid of want to stay away from the original installer.

Before I do anything I will get the amp model #s and you can tell me what you think.

I think the seperate turn on switch is a great idea.

Chris once again thanks for your responses & help. You are officially added to the i.o.u list I am compiling. :D

Scuba SteveMale Offline
Pisces
HDF Supporter
Mesa, AZ
APPD 0.55
Post Icon Posted: Aug. 07 2003,3:05 pm Post # 6 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

My amp looks like this P 400.2 still not absoulty sure if its the same exact one though.

ROZMale Offline

Tune Pimp

Vista, Ca.
APPD 0.01
Post Icon Posted: Aug. 07 2003,11:34 pm Post # 7 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (Scuba Steve @ Aug. 07 2003,3:05 pm)
My amp looks like this P 400.2 still not absoulty sure if its the same exact one though.

That amp has an RCA line output.... :good

You could purchase the product from any authorized (company who has a contract granting permission by MFG or Marketing firm to sell and service that MFG's  product) and have the install done by a qualified shop...

I may know someone who stocks their product...

The sub control is a nice feature, but a deck with 3 preouts would offer you more control of sub frequency and levels...I believe that your deck only has 2 preouts. I'm curious to know how they ran the RCA cables... :stupid ..Does your fade work correctly, or does it fade to the sub amp? They may already be using the RCA lineout from the 4 channel amp to run into the sub amp's line in...You  still may be alright though..The sub amp may have an RCA lineout as well...My adobe acrobat is running slow; I can't download the PDF file.  I'll check tomorrow...

BTW, I believe it's possible to get it done for under 1K......
Scuba SteveMale Offline
Pisces
HDF Supporter
Mesa, AZ
APPD 0.55
Post Icon Posted: Aug. 08 2003,8:49 am Post # 8 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Roz, all I know it works. lol I have no clue how the wiring is. I dont mess with the fad at all. I kind of just set the tre,mid, & bass on the head unit to the way I like it. The fad on the head unit is always on 0.

Are you making to RD's B-DAY BASH, or any other times to the river? Maybe you can jump in the boat and take a peek at my set up. For a nominal consultant fee of course. :D
The boat is in havasu or else I would make the drive over to see you.  :)  I really dont want to take it to a shop and get royally screwed. I already picture them telling me oh you cant do that, with out this, & you cant do this with out that. I'll let them,  because I dont know any better.  :beat Or the shop just laughing at my current set up and making me feel like an ass.
btw I am in no rush to get this done. Hopefully sometime in the off season.  :cool

ROZMale Offline

Tune Pimp

Vista, Ca.
APPD 0.01
Post Icon Posted: Aug. 08 2003,3:49 pm Post # 9 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Cool, no worries.... If you have a digital camera, take a pic of the power cable(s) at the battery, the areas of the amps that get cables, and at any type of power distrubution blocks if any.

The one thing you have to remember is that all installers do things differently. If you are to hear any comments regarding your current setup, it's because someone has different way of installing and  not necessarily that the job was done incorrectly. Example: TJD's boat was done by an installer who does do some quality work and has worked on some VERY expensive cars; However, After noticing a couple things I am going to go through the boat(basically reinstall) myself when the weather cools down...  :)

P.S.Consulting fee = Tecate  :beer
Scuba SteveMale Offline
Pisces
HDF Supporter
Mesa, AZ
APPD 0.55
Post Icon Posted: Aug. 08 2003,4:31 pm Post # 10 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

I'll take some pix  next time out.

Tecates!! Yeah....  :beer  :drink

TJD, has a sweet set up, if he could get it going. When we were out there a few weeks ago he was having a hard time with the subs.

ROZMale Offline

Tune Pimp

Vista, Ca.
APPD 0.01
Post Icon Posted: Aug. 08 2003,4:41 pm Post # 11 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (Scuba Steve @ Aug. 08 2003,4:31 pm)
TJD, has a sweet set up, if he could get it going. When we were out there a few weeks ago he was having a hard time with the subs.

When it runs it rocks! He is replacing the sub amp this weekend.. I got him a replacement, I just wish I had the time to go out and put it in myself....

I say wait til it cools, but I'm trying to get out there soon as I can.. I have so much vacation time, I'm thinking I'll try to get out there during the week...SOON.

Ahhh, my booked up weekend is here ..... C-YA!
Scuba SteveMale Offline
Pisces
HDF Supporter
Mesa, AZ
APPD 0.55
Post Icon Posted: Aug. 08 2003,5:32 pm Post # 12 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (ROZ @ Aug. 08 2003,4:41 pm)
Quote (Scuba Steve @ Aug. 08 2003,4:31 pm)

When it runs it rocks! He is replacing the sub amp this weekend.. I got him a replacement, I just wish I had the time to go out and put it in myself....

I say wait til it cools, but I'm trying to get out there soon as I can.. I have so much vacation time, I'm thinking I'll try to get out there during the week...SOON.

Ahhh, my booked up weekend is here ..... C-YA!

Let me know if & when you get out there.

The cold tecates will be flowing. :beer

11 replies since Aug. 06 2003,11:23 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]
add a reply to this topic create a new topic create a new poll

navbarlogo
The Colorado River WebRing
‹ Prev | Hub | Like | Join | Surprise | Next ›

Please help keep HDF free. If you enjoy this site, feel free to make a donation to keep it running. THANKS!